Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Summer Homeschool Adventure

 I might go into this in more detail later, but here's a brief description of why I made the choice I did for my daughter's education (my husband was willing to support any choice, but left the research and the ulitmate choice up to me). We chose public school. I actually never really considered homeschool until I met Sherry Jones. She was the first person I met who did it in a way that made sense to me. And I adore her kids. When the time came to make a choice for my daughter's education, I found out two of my good friends (with kids my daughter's age) were going to homeschool their children (they have since moved, so good thing I didn't base my decision on that!). So I really started looking into it. Let me just say that there are pros and cons to both public school and homeschool (private school was not an option for us unless I didn't want to be a stay at home mom anymore, which wasn't going to happen). When I found out the school I was suppose to send my daughter to school to was terrible, I put in for a transfer to a different school in the same district. I knew that if the transfer wasn't approved I would homeschool. But if it was, then a choice would need to be made. It was and I made a choice after a lot of research.
 Basically, the pros of public school were better than the pros of homeschool. Here's what I love about my daughter going to public school:
*My daughter is an only child. Socialization was important. I know people say this can happen in other ways, and believe me we've tried other ways that for various reasons weren't very successful. School has been great for this.
*We live in Southern California and diversity is the name of the game. I want her to meet other people who don't look the way she does, believe the same things she does, or live the way she does.
*She could be "a light unto the world" at school.
*Money. With all the research I did online, people claimed it didn't cost THAT much when they children were little, but just ink and paper alone would be a crazy amount of money (ink is expensive, and I noticed most people didn't include that in their "cost").
*Melodie wanted to go to school.
 The one homeschool benefit that almost won me over is the flexibility. But, I'm not really that big on daily flexibility anyway. My daughter has been on a schedule her whole life. It wouldn't stop with homeschool. The thought of going on vacation whenever we wanted was a little appealing, but public school didn't stop us from our road trip!
 I would just like to mention that after all my research there's a couple of things a lot of the online homeschool community would post that really bothered me (I might expand on my thoughts on these later). I saw these comments so often on different sites that I had to remind myself that not all parents that homeschool feel this way.
1) If you don't homeschool then you don't care about your child's education, or at least not as much as those that homeschool do.
2) Your child will see, hear and be exposed to the most terrible of things in public school.
3) Children are too young "to be a light unto the world", so even though we are told to do that in the Bible, it doesn't apply to them.
4) All public schools are terrible, after all, the public education system is terrible.
5) You're not in control of what your child is taught.
6) If the school schedule says "Math 30 min., Reading, 30 min., Writing 30 min." then children are sitting at a desk that whole time.
  So public school is the choice we've made for now, and we loved this year!  I am VERY involved at school and with Melodie's education. I love her teachers, the education she's receiving and how she's receiving it.
 Since I am not opposed to homeschool, but public school is out for the summer, I came up with an idea to do summer homeschool for Melodie. Each week Melodie and I are going to do math, reading, writing, science, art and activities centered around a mini theme. Her teachers have been so helpful (just like they were when I was planning educational stuff for our road trip). I'm super excited about this summer.
 The point of this whole post is to invite anyone who wants to to join my for my Summer Homeschool Adventure. Here are the themes I'm doing:
June 18-22 Oceans
June 25-29 Birds
July 2-6 America
July 9-13 Safari
July 16-20 Food Groups
July 23-27 Solar System
July 30-Aug 3 Continents and Olympics
Aug 6-Aug 10 Royalty
Aug 13-17 Dance and Music
Aug 20-24 Back 2 School
Join us for as much or as little as you'd like. I'll try to post links, worksheets and crafts on here at the beginning of the week, but if you'd like advance notice on any of these things, or to know about any "field trips", send me your email!

9 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a great idea!.are your worksheets adaptable for kids entering kindergarten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes. For example, I'm making a math game for the ocean week that includes number recognition and addition. You could just leave out the addition. For reading we'll be getting books from the library, so you can get books for the level you need. There are some great homeschool websites that had stuff for preschool age (too easy for Mel) so I changed them for her. You could just print them out from their sites. I'll include the links (or check out my summer homeschool board on Pinterest).

      Delete
  2. Are you posting everything here? Sounds awesome! I will check back and take a looksie this summer.

    We just completed our 6th year of public homeschooling. It is the BEST of both worlds in my opinion. We homeschool through the Orange County Department of Education. The teachers are awesome. We have some schedule, some flexibility. We do state testing (something really important to my hubby). They have class time once a week and have many of the same kids in class year after year, some they consider friends, others not as much (the same as 'regular' public school.)

    As for the things I read above about homeschoolers' comments...I found that sad. I hope it isn't true for very many... I hope you just came across some bad sites. I love my children...all my friends (the homeschoolers, non homeschoolers and the inbetweens like me)...all love their kids. There is bad stuff in schools, younger and younger actually...but that is true of life. I don't want to shelter, I want to educate. I am sure, confident that some of the deep convo's my kids and I have had about a variety of things from drugs to sex and a million things inbetween aren't happening in many homes: of all school varieties. But they are happening in my home and I am grateful for all the children are learning all around them. Children are sponges. GOOD FOR YOU as a parent for taking initiative and being such an active part of your child's educational process. That active participation is the most important part. Parents make or break children's education...whether it happens all at home, all at public school...or something in between. Good luck in your summer adventure!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'll post everything here.
      I didn't know you did public homeschooling. I'll have to talk to you about that. It's actually something I didn't find a lot of information about online, and I didn't think I knew anyone who participated in it.
      It was sad, and actually it was a lot. That's why it bothered me so much. It wasn't just the sites, it was also all the comments.
      I agree that being active in the educational process is what is important. You are an amazing educator and we love your kids. I hope you can join us on some of our "field trips".

      Delete
  3. I love this post! I can't wait to see all the stuff you have planned for each week. You're such a great mommy! I'm loving the themes!!

    I home schooled Linny with CHEP (OCDE's Homeschooling Program) like the commenter above. We also had a wonderful time working with them, but I wouldn't recommend homeschool for a child with special needs. Although it is a public schooling program, the district is not required to pay for any services because the child is being educated at home. I was grateful for my background as a special education teacher, but without the additional resources (which are most often VERY expensive) it's difficult to appropriately monitor and assess progress.

    I loved the flexibility and freedom that came with homeschooling but, I was used to the 1-2 hours of prep time I would have for lesson planning, when I taught in public school. With everything else going on at home, it was difficult to manage lesson planning, teaching, housework, errand running, and all the other daily chores. Especially when my adorable autistic brother needs multiple prompts and constant surveillance to complete a task... lol

    I guess what I'm getting at is, my hat is off to those parents who are able to homeschool and do it well! I envy your multitasking & organizational skills! In my opinion, whether supplemental or full time, every good parent home schools in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I love the prep. I'm having so much fun with it, but it is difficult to find the time. Plus, I'm a little crazy. When someone gives me a theme (or when I give myself a theme) I go a little wild. I have to stop myself frequently. I hope you join us for a few things with your brother, sister and the kiddos you watch!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Sarah! I'll be checking in with your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish i was home to have Ed involved, he is young but it is never to early to make learning fun. What a great idea Sarah and I appreciated your thoughts. I hope you keep things posted on hee andI would love to adapt some for Ed.

    ReplyDelete