Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ocean Week Days 4-7

 We spent the morning on the computer. First, Melodie played the Wild Kratts Ocean Game (this was on the schedule for yesterday). She found a few animals, then said it was boring. On her own she found another Wild Kratts game. This one was called Ride on Remora. She liked it better. However, her favorite ocean themed computer activity were the puzzles on the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium site.
 Math was also a computer game. It was called Shark Numbers. She enjoyed it.
 We did the sight word memory game. I was surprised by how much fun she had (once we started playing the memory part of the game).
 Even though it wasn't our fun food day, I found these chicken nuggets at the grocery store. We had them for lunch.
This turned into our wave day, so we talked about waves and read "What is a Wave?

 We also started our jellyfish (we finished them the next day, after they had time to dry).
 Friday was fun food day. We started off with a fun breakfast. I saw a crab sandwich on a blog, but when I couldn't figure out what the eyes were made out of, I found the instructions at FumilyFun. I didn't have the ingredients for the eyes, plus I made it into a breakfast sandwich. I think it turned out so cute!



 Melodie was very anxious to finish the jellyfish, so to help her with waiting while I cleaned up breakfast and got everything ready (including me), she made some sticker scenes.
Then we finally finished and hung the jellyfish.
This was salt water day, so first we talked about salt water and fresh water, then we did this salt water egg experiment.
Stirring the salt

Will the egg act different in the salt water?

It's floating!

She loved this so much, she took the eggs out and put them back in several times.
 Next we tried a salt water picture, but we didn't really get a reaction from the salt.

I suppose it didn't really matter because she had such a good time painting.
 Lunch was fishsticks and a not quite successful jello.
Martha Stewart did a much better job. For the life of me I couldn't get the fish to swim. Every half an hour I dropped a fish in and it would sink to the bottom. The next half hour it was too firm. Mel loved it anyway.
 Dinner was suppose to be a fun food that night, but we had several plans that were up in the air and didn't do it.
 I didn't plan for any of this to be done on the weekends, but Rocky had to work, so on Saturday we did the sorting board (fish and not fish). I didn't get a picture of the board, but here's some of the pictures she cut out.
I also made the fun food that was suppose to be dinner the night before. It was so cute!
I died the noodles and made a brown butter sauce. I can't even say how much Melodie loved this (pasta is her favorite food). She asked for it the next day for lunch. I'm pretty proud of it too.
 Again, we weren't planning on this, but I moved the planning of the FHE lessons to Sunday. We are always trying to find things for Mel on Sundays and this seemed perfect.



1 comment:

  1. LOL at your swimming fish failure. I'm sure the recipe made it sound so easy!

    ReplyDelete