Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ocean Week Days 2 & 3

 We started Tuesday by watching Finding Nemo. This was a nice change of pace for me. Lately, the only two movies Melodie has wanted to watch are Barbie Mermaidia and The Incredibles. After the movie, Melodie worked on the worksheet I made tracing the animal types of the Nemo characters.
While she was doing that, we looked up and read about the animals in these two books:
 
After swimming lessons we made sea turtles from a kit I bought at JoAnn's. (Purchased for a lot less than what it is online. It was on clearance at the store.)
I'm not sure what marshmallow clay is, but it was easy to use and the embellishments stuck right on.
 
Melodie insisted on taking a picture of me with the turtle I made. Here's the cute turtles:
 After our craft we worked on math playing this number sort math game that I redid to fit a Nemo theme (from Herding Kats in Kindergarten).
 
Can you tell she won? She enjoyed this game, so we'll be playing it more often. I might revamp it for other themes and put in subraction problems.
 The only thing on our schedule we didn't do was the sorting board, but that's because she asked to do more worksheets (I had some Nemo ones).

Wednesday
 Melodie started hip hop today, plus she went to the park, so we didn't get to everything on our schedule today. Here's what we did do.
 It was music day, so we listened to Finding Nemo: Ocean Favorites while she did her dolphin sand craft.
Ignore the wild hair. And my friends wonder why I style her hair every day. LOL We listened to whale songs on the computer and then learned I'm a Sea Star from the Monterey Bay Aquarium website. It's a repeat song (someone sings a line, then you sing the same line), so it was easy to learn. She loved it. We sang it several times.  
 She asked if I had anymore Nemo worksheets, but I didn't. I had something better. She worked on Little Mermaid worksheets while I took a shower.

 After swimming lessons she drew a few animals using this book:
She did a pretty good job. I'm not much of an artist, so I'm not a whole lot of help. We used a dry erase board just because she thinks that is fun.



We also read and Mel practiced some letters, so I guess the only thing we really missed were the jellyfish crafts. I didn't realize I had scheduled four art things for one day. A bit much, so I am putting off the two jellyfish ones (plus I forgot to buy paper bowls). Oh yeah, we didn't play the computer game either. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment