Sunday, July 5, 2015

Venezuela Day 5

Movie Day!!

I love Up. Have you seen those memes that show moments from Up and say, "the greatest love story can be told in minutes and without any words"? Something like that anyway. I always cry. Always.

Anyway, we started our movie day by going over the landscapes of Venezuela that are on the currency. I made this worksheet:
where Melodie matched the landscape currency with the name and an actual picture. 

Lunch time! I only found one Venezuelan restaurant (and it was still 20+min. away), but we had to go. Mil Jugos was a cute little place. We were excited to try a new kind of food.
We started off with a jugo to drink (there were so many kinds, but Melodie REALLY wanted pineapple). We ordered a pollo arepa and a queso cachapa to share. I could have eaten so much more of the pollo filling it was so good. Melodie tried both, but liked the arepa. I don't think the queso was quite what she was expecting. Aria loved the cachapa.
They dug in and enjoyed. So much so that we ordered quesillo for dessert. It was a lot like flan, and I don't care for flan, so the girls ate it. 

At home, Mel read an article where the director and story supervisor of Up talk about the landscape inspiration. This lead to talking about waterfalls. I was going to go over this web page on Fun Waterfall Facts for Kids, but it seems like Mel knew a lot of it already. I didn't even know she learned about waterfalls. She said it was for state testing. Hmmmm....Anyway, she was full of information. But she had forgotten that Angel Falls (the tallest waterfall in the world) was in Venezuela (she did remember that on warm days the water turns to mist before it reaches the pool). I got the idea to make a mini waterfall from education.com, but she glued things and I wanted to put back whatever we found. 
Melodie took her job of building very seriously. She made a few before she was happy with the results, and some she had to rebuild when a certain toddler thought she was being helpful. 
We ended up with a beautiful waterfall.
And then we watched the movie Up (and yes, I cried during the whole Carl and Ellie sequence).

No comments:

Post a Comment